Monday, December 14, 2009

Silent Night

I have found it quite difficult to catch onto the Christmas spirit this year. And I'm not really sure why. I've made the gingerbread houses, created the christmas cards, watched the christmas movies, made the christmas countdowns, listened to the christmas music, and yet nothing seems to register the "christmas feel" into my soul. I look around my house with all of its decorations and still feel that somehow, it just isn't christmas time. It can't be. Wasn't it just August?
The previous paragraph describes how I have been feeling every single day since Thanksgiving ended. But something changed yesterday. Yesterday was the christmas program at church. It was full of music, which was so wonderful. I woke up in the morning and felt like it was just any other Sunday morning. Since I'm the ward choir pianist, we were practicing for the final time before church. The choir was singing Silent Night and The First Noel. As we practiced Silent Night, a calm feeling came over me and for the first time this season, I started to feel the christmas spirit! I was quickly reminded of the beauty and miraculous circumstances of the night of the Lord's birth. Had I just forgotten that Christ is the reason for the season? Apparently so. Tears were brought to my eyes as I pondered on the words of this sared hymn. And that is not something that occurs often, trust me.
I picture myself being there on that holy night. Time must have stood still. The humble shepards must have stood in awe as they viewed this wonderful baby that would one day serve a mission that only He could serve. He would perform miracles, serve everyone around him, teach the gospel, and ultimately atone for every single person's sins. As I look down on the Christ child with these shepards, the entire world is still going on around us, but somehow we are all unaware of anything else that is going on outside of this stable. Whether noise was being made or not, we didn't hear it. For in this small instance, everything is perfectly silent. Everything. What a powerful and mighty moment, for without it, the world would not be the same.

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night, holy night!
Shepards quake at the sight
Glories stream from heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia
Christ, the Savior is born
Christ, the Savior is born

Silent night, Holy night
Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at Thy birth

This song has slowly made a biggere impact on me every single Christmas. And this year I have finally realized that although I have never actually recognized it consciously, it is my favorite sacred hymn. Although there are so many other good ones, somehow this one is always in the back of my mind, reminding me of that sacred moment in time. Before I sign off, I'd like to share a story with you that really touched me as well. It's written by an LDS missionary about his first Christmas away from home in St. Petersburg.

"It was Christmas Eve around the world, but just another frosty December night in St. Petersburg, Russia. This country celebrated no such holiday.

Our zone had just presented a Christmas program in the huge Kazanski Cathedral, where we sang Christmas songs and read from the book of Luke. It seemed as if our words and notes drifted up to the lofty ceiling and were swallowed by the darkness. But the sparse audience, mostly members and investigators, had partaken of the Spirit.

Our missionary work hadn’t been going well. People didn’t want to listen to two humble young men give them a message of redeeming love. Perhaps because of my discouragement, the Christmas celebration planned for later that evening didn’t hold much appeal for me.

My boots kicked up some new fallen snow and I shoved my bare hands deeper into my pockets. My gloves had been misplaced at a hotel a few days earlier. In this country, you don’t just walk into a store and buy gloves. You need to search.

Suddenly, Elder Redd sat down on a bench in the small park in front of the cathedral. I thought, Oh, now what? I just want to go home where it’s warmer.

Home was not the right thing to think about. It brought a flood of memories I really didn’t want to ponder right then. This was my first Christmas away, and I was feeling down. Where were all the decorations and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season? What about stockings, Christmas trees, and nativity scenes?

We hadn’t been able to get through to the international operator, so it looked as if I couldn’t make my phone call home either.

Tears welled in my eyes. I turned around so my back was to the wind. As I faced the cathedral, everything began to grow quiet. I looked at the majestic structure in front of me, bathed in pale, green light. The stars above were pin dots on a black shade, radiating calmness and peace.

“Silent night, holy night; all is calm, all is bright. …” The phrases softly entered my mind and drifted in whispers from my lips. “Sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace.” Elder Redd heard me and joined in a little bit louder. There was a feeling of reverence.

As we sang the second and third verses, a warm realization came to me. The joy, happiness, and peace at Christmas come from within. The material things and outward symbols of celebration bring sweet feelings, but only for a short moment.

Instantly, the thought of sharing Christmas with the other elders became appealing. It would be a gathering of friendship and love. We missionaries all needed to strengthen each other.

Christmas is what you make of it. It doesn’t matter if you’re with family and friends or halfway around the world. The real gifts at Christmastime are the fruits of the Spirit. Paul said, “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith” (Gal. 5:22). Could one ask for anything more during the celebration of Christ’s birth? "


Until next time! Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you?

I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, so I thought why not leave you a comment. I have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

Mostly, just a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

Thank you,
Jesse

Emily Davis said...

Thanks for this post, Grace, it was beautifully stated!

Freda Finlinson said...

See what a great blessing your calling is! Music really does bless our lives. It truly is a conduit for the Spirit.