Monday, September 20, 2010

American History

So I'm in an American history class right now. Yes, I am pretty knowledgeable about American history, but for some reason or another, I have just been absolutely horrified at some of the things we are learning about. I know that I am living in a different time and culture, but I'm just surprised at the lack of compassion that went on in the early beginnings of this country. America should be a place of refuge, but instead we enslaved black people, threw Native Americans off of their lands or killed them, and were just awful to immigrants or any other type of minority anywhere. How can people feel ok with enslaving another human being? How can people feel ok with pushing natives off of their lands, putting them onto reservations and then beating their culture out of them until they decide to become more "white"? And then I start thinking about all of the injustices that have happened in the world and are STILL happening! When will we ever learn? Is that day ever going to come? Like I said, I know I am living in a world completely different from even 10 years ago, but at the same time, I honestly just don't understand. How can you belittle a human life so much? I guess I will just never understand completely.... Compassion is the key. I'm convinced. Let's get some, shall we?

1 comment:

Marge Bjork said...

how much does compassion cost? I think I have $2.50 in my pocket.


ummmmm i made a bad joke, but yeah. the good and the bad that happens in the world everyday is pretty astounding.