Saturday, January 7, 2012

It's the Sabbath on Saturday!

Well even though it is Saturday today, we celebrated the Sabbath because that is how it's done in Israel. Church is at the center on the top (8th) floor in a huge auditorium. It is stadium seating and all of the seats are facing West. The entire western wall is windows looking out at the entire city of Jerusalem. Let me just say that it is a little distracting, but I suppose in the good way? It is definitely a good thing to have during the sacrament because you can't help but think about Christ while you look out on the ancient city. Today was fast and testimony meeting, and the district Relief Society president was visiting, who was born and raised in Israel and then went to BYU and converted to the church. She bore her testimony today and talked about how we might feel like we are really far away from home and miss everyone in the US but in a way we are home. In our patriarchal blessings it tells us which tribe we are from, but more importantly that we are descendants of Abraham- and this land was promised to him and his descendants. And that includes me! So I am home, which is a cool thought.

After church some girls and I walked around the center and just looked out at the city. Words cannot describe how beautiful the city is. And let me just tell you now- pictures do NOT do it justice. I kept trying to get a good shot of the city, but I just couldn't get one. What you see with your eyes cannot be captured in a picture. We walked around the grounds, as I said, and just took in all of the beauty. The weather out here is absolutely perfect right now. I guess the winter is the perfect time to go! It isn't too hot, but it is still warm with lots of sunshine. It is in the 50s and 60s every day which is my favorite kind of weather. Tomorrow is a free day, so I will hopefully be getting some more good pics in as well as exploring my new town!!

No comments: