Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rainy Days

Well this past week has been full of classes and rain. I LOVE my classes. Like seriously love. It's weird- I have yet to have a semester that is as good as this one, academically speaking. The longer I am here (granted, it hasn't been toooo long) the more glad I am that this is my last semester. It really is the ideal way to end college. I don't know what all of these other people were thinking.... haha ;) And I know it's only January and I still have a lot more time here, but I'm already dreading the day that I have to leave. I love this city and I feel like I want to live here....if not indefinitely then at least for a few years or so. It's just such a cool place to live!

So yeah, like my title suggests, it has been raining the past few days. We had a nice break in the rain on Thursday, and I was able to get out to the old city for some shopping and falafel. Yep- could definitely live off of the falafel here. They stuff the pitas with falafel, tomatoes, these cucumber/pickle things, a spicy sauce, and french fries! Sound weird? I suppose it kind of is, but the french fries are soooo good in it! And the falafel is great. All of the store owners call to us and ask us if we are the new mormons and then proceed to show us all of their merchandise and tell us about the special "mormon prices" haha. Who knows if the prices are actually lower... I suspect not. We eventually got to Shaban's- who is the guy that makes the BYU Jerusalem t-shirts and hoodies for the students as well as things like scripture cases and other mormony things. He is really great. And he makes beaded rings for all of the girls as a gift. So I got one of those, which is pretty cool. Then I went across the street to his brother-in-law's shop and bought some leather sandals, which are a must if you are living in Jerusalem. Pretty sure I"ll be buying more of them.

So we were supposed to go to the Western Wall for the start of the Sabbath last night, but it got post poned due to the cold rainy weather. And then our trip to the Garden Tomb also got post poned today, since it is still raining. We will have plenty of time to visit these places later though, so I'm not worried about it. Well I guess that's about all I have to report. I am meeting tons of cool people and really starting to feel at home here. Peace!

2 comments:

Mrs. Charissa Black said...

I know...the fries and the paprika are essential! :) Well, that's it, I definitely want to figure a way to visit the Holy Land. It's definitely one thing to read about them and another to experience history first hand.

marge said...

super exciting!!!