Monday, May 14, 2018

Imperfection

I'm a perfectionist.  And I'm sure you can relate.  I make a goal, let's say to eat healthy, for a week.  And then I do really well for a few days.  And then Wednesday comes and opportunities for something delicious like cookies comes my way.  So I indulge and then basically say to myself, "welp, I guess the week is shot" and then eat lots of cookies the rest of the week.  Flawed thinking, right?

But don't we all do this all of the time? Where we are confronted with failure, hardship, etc and then just give up? Learning to overcome those failures and keep trying is what is going to get us to where we want to be.

Something I always think of watching Flint learn how to walk.  He could take a few steps for such a long time.  He would take a few steps and then fall over.  And once he fell over, he would just crawl to wherever he was trying to get.  We kept trying to teach him to no fall back on crawling, but it still took him a few months to get it.  The true breakthrough, however, came when he learned to get up.  When he learned how to stand back up after falling down.  And I realized that I need to do this too.  Or else I will never learn to "walk."

There are all of those cheesy quotes out there like "You don't really fail until you give up trying" but dang it, it's true!

So I guess what I'm saying is that I missed writing in my blog last week.  And I have been tempted all day to just not write anymore and be done with this.  But I'm not going to! I made a goal to write every week this year.  And maybe I missed a week by one day, but that's ok.  Gotta keep going.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm glad you wrote. Your writing is important Grace.

John shared this article about perfectionism with me yesterday. You might enjoy it.

https://magazine.byu.edu/article/thats-how-the-light-gets-in/

I especially liked the encouragement to "act on your best approximation" and his description of the "skill of falling".