Friday, March 25, 2011

Right NOW

Today has been a good day, despite the fact that it is snowing outside on March 25th. So much for spring.... I woke up around 8:15 and headed to my 9AM southern history class. I enjoy that class quite a bit, actually. And I'm writing another mini thesis for it! Mini thesis sounds cooler to me than a long paper by the way. In reality, it is just a longer-than-normal research paper. My topic? How the urbanization of the South led to the rise in lynching spectacles at the turn of the 20th century. Sound fascinating? Oh, it is. (and no, that isn't sarcasm) As horrifying as lynching is, and trust me, it IS, for some reason I can't stop reading about it. I can't stop being horrified by all of the gruesome pictures laid out in the book I'm currently reading. How did this happen? How did we lose our humanity as Americans in such a recent time? It's crazy. And that's why I'm doing my paper on that.

Anyway... after I went to class I headed over to the Marriott center to see a special forum where the guest was.... drum roll please.... MARK ZUCKERBERG!! Isn't that exciting? He's never spoken at a university before, and here I am lucky enough to be at his first on at BYU! I was fascinated by what he had to say. And I'm also fascinated by facebook in general. A guy sitting in front of my group was commenting on how Mark is probably the most influential person in the world right now simply because of how much time facebook takes out of everyone's day. It affects everything in your life in a direct or indirect way. And it's kind of mind blowing if you think about it. I was quite impressed with what this amazing successful 26 year old had to say about facebook and the technological world that we live in, and all in all, I'm really glad that I went if you can't tell. Facebook is great- you can't convince me otherwise! The influence it has had over global affairs alone is incredible.

And now I'm back at home after one other class I had. And it is still snowing. It has been snowing since like 10 AM. what. the. heck! I usually love snow, but it has its time and place. And this is not the time or place. Oh well, with the way the weather has been going lately, I'm sure it will be warm again tomorrow and no one would ever know that it snowed at all.

And right NOW- as my title suggests, I am cooking a pizza, blogging, watching E-Ho do dishes while listening to music, and drinking orange juice. Word.

1 comment:

Freda Finlinson said...

OK... Snow in Utah during spring, though annoying, is normal. BUT snow in St Louis in Spring is just plain craziness! That's right, as I sit here writing this, it is full on snowing huge flakes. Has been all day. already a couple of inches, with no end in sight. Frankly, it's depressing. Just 5 short days ago it was 80 degrees. So, yeah... WHAT THE HECK? :(
BTW, cool that you got to see Facebook man!