Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Reflection

Well I've had my blog for about 2.5 years now. Crazy how the time has flown. For some reason I decided to go back and read my blog from the beginning and I've really enjoyed what I had to say. I can't believe how much I've grown as a person (and blogger) since October of 2008. A lot of rough times and a lot of really good times. My blog seems to only reflect the good times- which I guess is a good thing. I'm surprised at some of the realizations that I had come to and somehow forgotten. So I'm glad I went back and read them because I was able to remember and reflect on those little epiphanies. I feel like I blog way differently now than I used to... And I'm not sure that's a good thing. I loved reading my older posts but as I got closer to the present I got kinda bored. But maybe that's just because I was tired of reading- it kind of took a while to get through them all. I couldn't believe how much my posts used to be filled with testimony and small praises to the Lord. And I've kind of stopped doing that. Which I definitely don't think is a good thing. Especially since Elder Uchtdorf encouraged us all to share the good message of the gospel more on the internet through blogging and social media. And so I need to get back to that. The Lord has blessed me beyond compare and it continues to amaze me on a daily basis. I feel so empowered and strong lately- probably because of conference. I'm filled with strength that the Lord has given me, for without Him, I am nothing. The Lord is full of patience and mercy. And that is what I've truly learned/am learning recently- especially within the past year. I want to get back to a simpler me, where I realize that the small things in life are what really matter. I wrote several posts in the history of my blog that were lists of tender mercies or small moments that blessed my life, and I'd like to do it once again. Simplicity is key- I truly believe that. So here are a few of the small things as of late:

1. I know I've already mentioned conference once in this post, and also in my last post. But I really am grateful for the chance I had to listen to the great council from the Lord's servants. They really know what they are talking about!
2. I have really enjoyed going to school this semester. All of my classes are really great. Today in class my teacher called on my by name! I know this seems like an odd thing to recognize, but I never really know if my teachers know my name, and it took me by surprise when he used my name. And it made me appreciate my professor more.
3. I really needed some chocolate the other day. That craving pretty much never comes to me- but for some reason it did the other day. And then I remembered that my mom had sent me a bunch of chocolate for Valentine's day! And it was delicious...
4. My roommate started a dinner group that meets every Tuesday and Thursday. We all take turns cooking and it has been really fun. I made chicken tikka marsala (Indian food) on my night. And it just reminded me how much I love to cook! Especially when I'm cooking for other people.
5. My bank account was extremely low the other day and it was kind of getting to the scary point. But when I went to check my balance to make sure I hadn't overdrafted, I found an extra $100 more than I thought I had in there. It was like magic! Some amazing angel had transferred the money into my account from above (or from St. Louis...thanks again Mom!)
6. Rereading my own blog (although it may sound weird) really gave me some inspiration today. I felt uplifted by my own positive experiences that I had fortunately recorded. It just goes to show that bearing your testimony only makes it stronger- even if you are reading your testimony from over 2 years ago.
7. I got some really cute sandals at Target! And they were on sale! And it was fun to shop with Emily this past weekend.
8. I'm going to DC this summer!! It's been a life long dream of mine to go- literally since the 2nd grade. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint...
9. I cut back on my hours this semester with school and all and although I have a lot less money, working less has been grrrrrrreat. Such a blessing.
10. I've been doing indexing for the church- just ask me about it if you don't know it is. But basically its taking digital copies of old documents like censuses from the early 1900s and typing in the information so that the names can be temple ready. Its a quick and easy service I can do anywhere that has internet connection- and it's pretty fun! At least I think so...

1 comment:

Emily Davis said...

Yeah for shopping with you!!!