Monday, February 27, 2012

Ammunition Hill and West J

As promised, here is a picture of me in front of the separation wall:
Well this past Friday we had Israeli folk dance night! And it was soooooo fun!! I do have to admit that I liked it more than the Arab dancing. Our teacher was hilarious and is actually a folk dancer by profession, so he knew what was up. And as a funny side note- we were listening to all of this traditional folk music and practicing our dances when all of the sudden the MACARENA comes on out of nowhere!! Pretty sure I haven't done the macarena since oh I don't know... middle school? Maybe even before that? Let's just say that it was awesome.

Then as I told you, I went to Gethsemane on Saturday after church. See the previous post for more details on that one. Then on Sunday we started our day out by going to Ammunition hill- which is a memorial for the 6 Days War. We watched a movie depicting the battle and then walked around the grounds which had a tank on it and a lot of trenches. We had a lot of fun taking pictures and exploring. Here's a pic of us inside one of the trenches: (David, Annelise, Grace, Kelsey, Travis)
Then there is also a small museum there- here is Travis and I making a star of David inside of the museum.
We then took the light rail to the Jaffa Gate. And headed into the old city. Here is Aimee and I riding along:
We had lunch at Lina's Hummus which was very tasty. Afterwards I met up with a different group in the Jewish quarter and we headed over to West J to shop and get McDonald's! The burgers at McDonald's here are HUGE. I can't even describe it to you. I just got a diet coke and Travis got some fries. Everyone else said that the food was good. Everything is kosher here though, so no cheese on any of the burgers. Which I guess is kind of weird, but hey the fries were good!
We then stayed out all night and explored even more of West J and went into a lot of the shops as opposed to just walking around and buying street food. Overall it was a very fun day. I will have to blog again soon. Oh and I leave for Turkey on Sunday!! Whoa!

1 comment: