Saturday, February 4, 2012

Arab Night and a Fun Surprise

Well this past Wednesday night was our Arab culture night, and it was really fun! Everyone got all dressed up in their most Arabian atire and went out to party! We started out with a demonstration from some professional prayer givers- meaning the guys that issue the call to prayer 5 times a day. They sang us the call to prayer and gave us the words so we would know what they are saying. And of course with the translations as well. It was so legit!! They also did a Quran reading and showed us how they pray with their prayer rugs and such.

We then had a traditional feast in the Oasis as if we were eating after fasting all day during Ramadan. No, it isn't time for Ramadan, but we just acted like it was to get the experience I suppose. The food was really good and the committee did a great job decorating the place. The picture below is us at the photo booth in the Oasis. Do you like my turban? I wrapped it myself and everything. :)
After our meal we went into the gym and 4 local high school students taught us how to do traditional Arab dancing! It was so fun! And the kids were adorable. I was super impressed with all of their skills! And now I know how to dance... I hope I don't forget... :)

So then on Friday we had a bit of free time after class got out so a small group of us tried to go the Holy Church of the Ascension, but it was closed sadly. We then wandered around trying to find something else to do when we happened upon a memorial where they claim Jesus taught his disciples and issued the Lord's prayer. It was this absolutely beautiful court yard with this tile art everywhere with the Lord's prayer in every possible language you can think of. Literally. My bottom picture is of the one in French. The place was run by French people, so I guess it was fitting. And I got a chance to speak French to one of the workers! Behind the court yard was this huge grove of olive trees which was absolutely amazing. It also had a nice lookout over the city. Plus we were there around dusk, which was just so pretty! Here I am sitting on a olive tree, looking out at the city:
It was such a peaceful place- especially since we were practically the only ones there. So it was super secluded and there was a very strong spirit about it. This is what I imagine the garden of gethsemane was like during the time of Christ. I definitely want to go back to do some more pondering and writing and such. Let me know if you want me to find a specific language and take a picture of it for you! Emily- I already got on in Armenian! :)
It was a beautiful day that ended in the best way possible- finding a new place that was super cool. So that is what is going on with me as of now. We have our free day tomorrow and then a field trip on Monday- so I will have more pictures and stuff to blog about then. As a side note however- they are re-filming the orientation/tour video for the center and the students from this semester are in it! Which means the possibility of me being in is very high. More news on that later. They are filming my class on our field trip on Monday- more news on that soon. Well I guess that is all from me- Love!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

How fun that you got to learn Arab dancing!! Your pictures are so gorgeous!

Oh, and I love the turban look. You should make it popular here when you're back in the states.

marge said...

Girl, you rock that turban.

Emily Davis said...

YEAH! Thanks for taking the picture of the Armenian prayer for me, you rock!! And I agree with Marge, you rock that turban :)