Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Rest of Galilee- all in one post!

Well I have so much more to blog about, so I'm not going to blog about each separate thing in Galilee but rather do it all in one post. Sorry about that.... but it just has to be done. I still have a few papers that I need to write... and I only have 2 and half weeks left in this amazing city that I need to soak up. So here it goes.

One day we went on a hike to Gamla, which is where a synagogue from Jesus' time is. And it is very possible that it the exact synagogue as opposed to it being rebuilt and such throughout time. The hike was pretty intense, but I got through it and it was gorgeous! Israel is so beautiful and green in the winter at least. Here is a pic of Gamla below. Gamla means camel- that hill behind me looks like a camel's back which is why it is called that.
Here is Janae and I at the top of the mountain- not the camel's back.
On Saturday we went to church in Tiberias, which was really great. Then we took some pics on the shore of the sea of Galilee back at our resort. This is like right outside of the apartments we were staying in. So beautiful!
We also went to the top of Mount Tabor, which is one of the possible sites of the transfiguration. This is a pic of Amy, Madison, myself and Loie in front of the church dedicated to the transfiguration at the top of the mountain. The mountain was HUGE. Luckily we had some vans drive us to the top. :)
This is me in a field of mustard. The kindgom of heaven is like unto a mustard seed, remember?
This is us at Tel-Dan which was basically a gorgeous national park at the source of the Jordan River. So beautiful! I honestly felt like I was back in Missouri for a bit because it was SO green and luscious! This is us on the Winnie the Pooh tree. Still not really sure why it is called that.... but hey there it is. We also went to the Garden of Eden there, so that was exciting!
We also went to a cool waterfall at the Jordan River source. Here's a oh so cute pic of David and I. (We are getting married because of our Midwest connection ) :)
Then we went to Nimrod's castle, which is a large crusader fortress. It was a HUGE castle! It was really cool. Here's me in one of the archways:
Then we went to a Syrian lookout- so technically I've been to Syria now! There was this weird dinosaur there.... not really sure why... but hey here's a pic:
This is us at Korozim- inside a synagogue that Jesus may or may not have taught in... haha. Let's just say that he did...
We also went to Sephoris and saw the Mona Lisa of Galilee! Here she is:
Then we went to Akko, which is a Crusader fortress city on the coast. Here's us eating ice cream during our free time!
Our last day in Galilee we went to Mt. Carmel, which is where the story of Elijah and God going up against Baal occurred. See the Old Testament for more on that one.
We actually got stranded at Mt. Carmel because our bus broke down.... :( It was kind of fun though because we played games and ate lunch and talked and such. Because of that however, my class was not able to go to Haiffa. Oh well.... that would have been cool.

We then went to Caesarea, which was absolutely beautiful. Here is a pic of Amy and I there:
Overall...it was a good time in Galilee. I'm already missing it! I'm so blessed once again to be able to have this experience. More soon!

No comments: